Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Great Easter Vigil (My Confirmation)




The Convert

After one moment when I bowed my head
And the whole world turned over and came upright,
And I came out where the old road shone white,
I walked the ways and heard what all men said,
Forests of tongues, like autumn leaves unshed,
Being not unlovable but strange and light;
Old riddles and new creeds, not in despite
But softly, as men smile about the dead.

The sages have a hundred maps to give
That trace their crawling cosmos like a tree,
They rattle reason out through many a sieve
That stores the sand and lets the gold go free:
And all these things are less than dust to me
Because my name is Lazarus and I live.



-GK Chesterton

2 comments:

  1. ahh, lovely poem, lovely memories, lovely night! We were so glad to share it with you! Welcome, Brother :)

    ReplyDelete